Tuesday, November 2

Nanowrimo

It stands for NAtional NOvel WRIting MOnth.

This month is November, as you may have guessed, and is a month dedicated (for those brave enough to accept the challenge) to writing. Sometimes this means writing horribly, desperately, frantically, or despairingly, but it means writing. The principle of the things is that most of the actual crafting of a novel is in the revision process, but that too many would be authors (such as myself) are too discouraged by the horrible first draft prose, lack of support, time constraints or simple distractions that they stop in despair at the first step: Write.

Nanowrimo volunteers to guilt, encourage, pester and drive you to write 50,000 consecutive words over the course of 30 days, no matter how horrible they may be. (The words or the days. take your pick.)

Need encouragement? Pep talks from published authors such as Neil Gaiman.

Worried about your progress? Word count validations and a bar chart of your personal word count.

Want to talk to other authors? Forums

Need inspiration? Forums

Plot problems? Forums

Yes, I have accepted the challenge. Yes, I am in Rome. Yes, I am in college. Yes, I have papers to write and friends to not ignore and sights to see, but completing a novel is a real goal of mine, and after my abysmal failure last year (only 2,000 words? Really, Maria?) I feel the need for another go.

(Of course, it would be much easier if I had a plot in mind… but let’s not be picky.)

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Jeannette said...

Good luck! Remember, I'm right there with you!