Sunday, November 14

Saint Peter in Chains

I took a quick jaunt the other day to see Michelangelo’s Moses.


(I just love how I can do that; just duck off to see something incredible)

Most people forget that he is actually a piece of some pope’s tomb.


Of course, I had seen pictures of the statue, and right now you are looking at yet another picture, but I never really grasped how great it is. It really is true that you have to see it in person to truly appreciate it, because it is a sculpture, not a painting. It is 3D, not 2D. You have to move around it, see it from different angles, measure yourself against it, realize, “Oh, gee. This is It,” to get the full effect.


The church itself was actually very quiet, but beautiful. When I visited for morning mass a few days later, there were only a few old people there for the mass, plus someone quietly sweeping the floor. Later in the day, groups come to snap pictures, but they left fairly quickly since the rest of the church is… well… bare by Roman standards.


I actually really enjoyed it.


Oh, and by the way, below the alter is a display with the iron manacles supposedly worn by Saint Peter on two different occasions.


…Hence the name of the Church. Priorities, people.

~Maria

No comments: